Welcome to Child Nutrition

Our Child Nutrition Department has embraced Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts!  We have a Chef in Training working with our staff to improve our food presentation as we teach her about school meals.  We welcome chef Yancie Toran to our Pirate family!

The Shepherd Independent School District’s Child Nutrition Department operates according to United States Department of Agriculture and the Texas Department of Agricultures’ guidelines and policies that govern the National School Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, and Child and Adult Care Feeding programs. 

The Child Nutrition team is committed to advancing the health of the community using the following strategies:

  • Focusing on providing healthy and appealing meals for students, staff and guest;
  • Coordinating wellness programs with other departments across the district;
  • Utilizing ongoing training to educate others about the importance of living a healthy lifestyle;
  • Leading through the example of personal wellness

Students are better equipped to learn when they have eaten a well-balanced meal; therefore, SISD's Child Nutrition team plays a vital role in the education process. Meals that are served meet federal nutrition guidelines to help keep students healthy.

Parents can lend their support by encouraging their children to partake of the healthy food options presented each day.



Shepherd Independent School District will continue its policy to operate the Community Eligibility Program (CEP) under the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program for the 2020-2021 school year. This means that all Shepherd ISD Schools serve breakfast and lunch to all children at no charge without the collection of meal applications for free, reduced-price, and paid student meals. This new approach reduces burdens for both families and school administrators and helps ensure that students receive nutritious meals.

As of 09/08/2020 Shepherd ISD Child Nutrition will begin the Seamless Summer Option (SSO) This means all children under the age of 18 can be served breafast and lunch at no charge regardless of enrollment status.The Summer Meals Program provides meals at no cost to children and teens 18 years old and younger.

Food Safety and Sanitation:

School Nutrition guards against Foodborne with the use of an updated Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HAACP) system.  Which is a systematic approach to constructing a food safety plan. It is designed to reduce the risk of food-borne illnesses/hazards by focusing on each step of the food preparation process, from receiving to service.

100% of our School Nutrition staff have earned a ServSafe Food Protection Managers Certification. This is the highest certification awarded by ServSafe. The exam focuses on six aspects of food service that can affect the safety of food and is earned by passing the ServSafe exam.

All staff shall wear a face covering and change their gloves after serving each class.

All meals will be completed by placing the menu items in an individual to-go container which will allow the product to be protected during transport


Signage will be visible in all cafeteria, serving lines and on our carts to remind staff and students of the importance of hand washing or using hand sanitizer before meals and the requirements of social distancing while waiting in line or moving about the breakfast and lunch times. Signage will be consistent with that being used throughout the district and will be age appropriate for the audience.

In addition to reminders about social distancing and hand washing the use of social distancing floor decals and markers for where students can sit when utilizing cafeteria tables.


Feeding Models:


Breakfast In the Classroom (BIC):

  •     Upon entry into the school building students will go to their assigned classroom.
  •     All students will be provided with breakfast cards that have their student ID on them.
  •     School Nutrition(CN) staff will arrive with the breakfast cart and serve students.
  •     Students shall practice social distancing as they approach the cart to receive their meal.
  •     Students shall place their breakfast card into the provided basket.
  •     CN staff will provide the student with a nutritious breakfast.
  •     CN staff shall sanitize or wash their hands & change their gloves after each classroom


Cafeteria Lunch:

  •     Scheduled by classroom
  •     Staff assigned to the cafeteria will seat the students according to social distancing guidelines.
  •     Lines will be cleaned and disinfected between classes or students as time allows.
  •     Students shall wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to entering the serving line.
  •     Tables will be cleaned and sanitized after each class


In Classroom Lunch Service and  Consumption:

  •     Lunch scheduled by class or hallway
  •     Students shall be provided with lunch cards that have their student id on them.
  •     School Nutrition(CN) staff arrives with the lunch cart.
  •     lunches will be served in an individual to-go container.
  •     Students shall practice social distancing as they approach the cart.
  •     Students shall place their lunch card in the basket.
  •     The student will be provided with a nutritious lunch.
  •     Staff shall sanitize or wash their hands and change their gloves after each


Secondary Students

The breakfast and lunch options above would remain the same with the following exceptions:

  •     Instead of placing a card in the basket we can scan their student ID badge.
  •     Breakfast could be served thru the serving line with social distancing being practiced similar to the lunch scenario above.


Alternate Breakfast option:

Grab & Go to be consumed in the classroom or a designated area following social distancing guidelines.  

Grab And Go

Students would pick up conveniently packaged breakfasts from mobile service carts in areas that are convenient to students, such as hallways, entryways or cafeterias. Students can eat in their classroom or in a common area before and after the bell has rung. 


Virtual Learners

Curbside Meal service will be offered to Elementary and Secondary students daily at all sites:

  •     Parents will be asked to park in a designated parking spot for curbside pick up
  •     Parent would call the kitchen when they arrive
  •     A sign with kitchen number will be visible
  •     Parent must have the students ID number to receive meals



We will accommodate all special diet requests

Non-discrimination statement:
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. 
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: intake@usda.gov. 
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.